- This event has passed.
In-Person Physical Distancing Outdoor Worship
November 29, 2020 @ 8:00 am - 8:45 am
|Recurring Event (See all)
An event every week that begins at 8:00 am on Sunday, repeating until June 27, 2021
Join us for a meditative experience at 8:00 AM, on the grass facing Bushnell Ave. The worship service will follow an improvisational approach to discipleship that will allow us to learn as we journey together and be satisfied with what we have in the present moment. As an approach to discipleship, improvisation will cultivate flexibility, discernment, compassion, grace, and generosity. Not everything will work out exactly as we planned, but we will learn to accept reality, learn from week to week, and adapt as we move forward. While the core of the service will focus on “silence in nature,” we will explore themes like “space,” “nature,” “community,” “journey,” and how it all relates to spirituality.
While we are flexible in the service format, we are not taking any chances with your health and safety and that of our community. At UPC, we subscribe to the Golden Rule for our church’s common good and our broader community. While we cannot avoid risk, we will do everything we can to minimize COVID-19 exposure with our ethic and commitment to community wellbeing. For your safety, please review the Safety Guidelines below. And remember, please bring a chair!
Commitment To Community
While we cannot avoid risk, we can minimize it by an ethical commitment to community well-being. For your safety, the service will be conducted outside on the grass facing Bushnell, in front of the UPC Sanctuary. We will be wearing masks and practicing social distancing.
- Your lawn chairs/blankets
- Hand sanitizer
- Face mask
- Dress comfortably as weather dictates
Safety Guideline for Outdoor Service
- Please minimize the use of the church bathrooms. The Narthex bathrooms will be available for urgent use.
- Masks are mandatory at all times: Masks protect you and other people in case the wearer is unknowingly infected but does not exhibit symptoms. The speaker(s) and musician(s) may remove their masks when sharing a meditation, instructions, welcome, chant, or song while staying 25 feet from attendees. They will put their masks back on as soon as they are able.
- Social distancing will be enforced (at least 6 feet). As you arrive, volunteers will help you and your family follow social distancing.
- We will not use hymnals or bulletins. In the future, we might share readings or prayers electronically as the service evolves.
- No offertory will be taken at this moment. We do, however, encourage electronic or mailed payments for your financial contributions.
- No physical contact is encouraged, like the shaking of hands, hugging, or kissing.
- No childcare is available at this time.
- Please check for signs and symptoms before you arrive. If you are sick or have had close contact with a person with COVID-19, please stay home.
- Photos/video of the service will be taken for attendance purposes.